It's all about Flicks here! REVIEWS AND MORE!!!! Please read, comment, share and become a follower!!!!!!


Feb 2, 2010

Oscar Time!!! (gay squeal)

The 82nd Academy Awards are only a month away, and FINALLY we have the Oscar nominees. I have awaited this day with ganticipation (that is 'gay anticipation') for so long. This is one of the first years in a long time when I have actually seen a great deal of the nominated movies, and I feel that I am actually making informed opinions. And I have many of them!!! I was not really surprised by most of the nominations that came out today. Honestly, this award is so heavily predicted that it is essentially predictable, aka boring. But there are always a few surprises. And whether they are good or bad, I always hope for these surprises!!

SURPRISE 1: Two of the 10 Best Picture nominees gave me pause. One in a good way (District 9) and one in a bad way (The Blind Side). I am so glad that District 9 made the cut. This movie was brilliant. And I usually despise alien movies. The thing about this one is that it is an alien movie, that serves as a fantastic metaphor for how humans treat eachother. I am so mad that The Blind Side made this list. It really proves to me that the whole reason for making 10 nominees was as a marketing strategy. I saw it, and I actually liked it, but I don't think it is worthy of this spot. I can think of at least 3 movies that should be there instead of it. SAD SAD SAD!!

SURPRISE 2: There were two songs that I predicted were locked in the Best Original Song category: 'The Weary Kind' which did get a nomination; and 'Cinema Italiano' which did not. I am shocked that 'Take It All' from Nine made the cut over 'Cinema Italiano'. It is an odd choice, since 'Cinema Italiano' is a better song. I only hope that this now means that Marion Cotillard will be perfroming on the telecast.

SURPRISE 3: OK, not really a surprise, but I was afraid that Bright Star would not get a Best Costume Design nomination, and I am soooooooooo happy that it did. It and The Young Victoria are my favorites to win this one.

Lastly, my 'SINS OF OMISSION', those that were not nominated, that I believe should have been!

SINS OF OMISSION: (500) Days of Summer (Best Original Screenplay), Sharlto Copley (Best Actor), Alfred Molina and Anthony Mackie (Best Supporting Actor), Marion Cotillard and Samantha Morton (Best Supporting Actress), Every Little Step (Best Documentary), Where The Wild Things Are (Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Costume Design), The Stoning of Soraya M. and both of it's leading ladies.
Mozhan Marno in The Stoning of Soraya M.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I had forgotten about Every Little Step! And that's why you are the movie reviewer and I'm not.

    ReplyDelete