It's all about Flicks here! REVIEWS AND MORE!!!! Please read, comment, share and become a follower!!!!!!


Jan 10, 2010

THE YOUNG VICTORIA

Title: The Young Victoria
Director: Jean-Marc Vallée
Starring: Emily Blunt, Rupert Friend, Miranda Richardson, Paul Bettany, Jim Broadbent, Harriet Walker
Rating: 3.5/4 stars

I love Emily Blunt. She is one of my favorite actresses of her generation. Along with Anne Hathaway and Amy Adams, she can pretty much do no wrong in my book. The Young Victoria is Blunt at her best. She is so full of life, and brings youth, playfulness, joy and serenity to her role as the young monarch. And that is not the only thing this movie has. While having a fantastic leading lady is important, a movie cannot rely on that alone. And this one doesn't. After seeing it a second time, I was surprised at what a lovely movie it was. While it could easily have been a bland period piece, it surprises with each move of the camera, and each cut. It has a modern flair in the camera-work that I didn't expect, or even really notice after the first time I saw it. It is refreshing in a period piece like this to see a bit of innovation. Add to that, wonderful work from Friend and the rest of the cast, and costumes that made my gay heart beat faster, and The Young Victoria makes for a joyous and extremely pleasing two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment